|
|
|
The Times
  • Space heater causes fire in Ilion

  • The Ilion Fire Department responded to a fire at 164 Prospect Ave. Wednesday night.

    Fire Chief James Trevett said the department received the call at 10:32 p.m. According to the 911 report, home owner Judy Steele was trapped inside the house at the time of the fire.

    • email print
  • The Ilion Fire Department responded to a fire at 164 Prospect Ave. Wednesday night.
    Fire Chief James Trevett said the department received the call at 10:32 p.m. According to the 911 report, home owner Judy Steele was trapped inside the house at the time of the fire.
    The fire department arrived at the residence at 10:34 p.m. to find Steele outside the house on the porch. Steele suffered from smoke inhalation as well as a burn on the back of her hand, Trevett.
    MOVAC transported Steele to St. Elisabeth Medical Center in Utica for treatment. As of Thursday afternoon, Steele was still under observation at the hospital.
    The cause of the fire was the use of a space heater, said Trevett. “She was using a space heater to dry her clothes, when the clothing got to close to the heater and caught on fire,” he said.
    Other departments on the scene were the Ilion Police Department, MOVAC and the village of Ilion Light Department to shut off power to the house.
    The Mohawk Fire Department was on stand by at the Ilion station.
    Trevett said, “The fire was contained about an hour and half after we received the call.”
    The department returned to service early Thursday morning at 1:15 a.m.
      • calendar