Follow the link to see our look at what’s happening this week.
- Thursday is Flag Day. President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed June 14 as Flag Day in 1916, but Congress didn’t officially create the day until 1949.
- There are several Supreme Court-related anniversaries this week: Tuesday is the anniversary of the day the court shot down anti-miscegenation (interracial marriage) laws (1967); and Wednesday is the anniversary of the Miranda rights law (1966) and Thurgood Marshall becoming the first African-American justice (1967).
- Saturday is Bloomsday, perhaps the biggest literary holiday of the year. It celebrates the hero of James Joyce’s “Ulysses.” The day is celebrated across the U.S. and around the globe.
- Father’s Day is this coming week as well – next Sunday. Don’t forget Dad!
- The big movies this week are “Rock of Ages,” a PG-13 rock comedy starring Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Tom Cruise and Alec Baldwin; and “That's My Boy,” an R comedy starring Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg.
- New in music this week are albums from Usher, Rush, Mary Chapin Carpenter and more.
Gas price update
- This week: $3.560
- 1 week ago: $3.620
- 1 month ago: $3.763
- 1 year ago: $3.761
- Record high: $4.114
Video to note: CDC: Older teens often text behind the wheel
More than half of high school seniors say they text or email while driving, the first federal statistics on how common the dangerous habit is in teens. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released the statistics late last week.
GateHouse News Service