|
|
|
The Times
  • Crayon causes smoke-filled church in West Winfield

  • West Winfield Fire Chief Kevin Brown said a reported fire at The Federated Church on East Main Street Wednesday morning turned out to be nothing more than smoke caused by a smoldering crayon.

    “It was kind of a welcome let down,” Brown said of discovering no actual flames in the building.

    • email print
  • West Winfield Fire Chief Kevin Brown said a reported fire at The Federated Church on East Main Street Wednesday morning turned out to be nothing more than smoke caused by a smoldering crayon.
    “It was kind of a welcome let down,” Brown said of discovering no actual flames in the building.
    The church, at 452 E. Main St., is used as a Head Start location, and “one of the youngsters had stuffed a crayon into one of the electric heaters,” the chief said.
    When the heater turned on Wednesday morning, that caused the building to fill with smoke and an unusual burning smell initially thought to be caused by an electrical fire.
    None of the children had arrived at the time the fire was reported, and classes were canceled for the day, Brown said.
      • calendar