It's another made-up food holiday!
Over 75% of you have a jar of it in your house, so today is the perfect day to eat some. Make a PB&J, bake a peanut butter pie, roll around in a vat of it (well, maybe not). Today is the day we celebrate peanut butter. Here are five facts about the food that sticks to the roof of your mouth (via Fooducate):
1. Americans consume 700 million pounds of peanut butter annually, about three pounds per person!
2. Peanuts are technically legumes (like beans), not nuts.
3. One acre of peanuts will make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.
4. Peanuts are a new world food, probably originating in Brazil and working their way up to Mexico. The Aztecs mashed them into a paste as early as 500 years ago.
5. 75% of homes in the US have a peanut butter jar. 6. 60% of the peanuts in the US are grown in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama. Half are used for peanut butter.
There are more, but who has the time. Happy holidays!