VERONA — Miss New York 2013 Amanda Mason will visit the area to host this year’s Miss Mohawk Valley Scholarship Pageant at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 25, at Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Central School.
The Miss Mohawk Valley Pageant will be presented in partnership with the VVS Junior FFA and will spotlight college-aged young women from across Oneida, Herkimer, Fulton and Montgomery counties vying for scholarships while competing in areas of interview, talent, swimwear, evening wear and on stage question.
The winner of the Miss Mohawk Valley Pageant will receive the top scholarship award and the opportunity to advance to represent the area at this year’s Miss New York Pageant in May with the chance that she could possibly continue on from there to the Miss America Pageant in September.
The Miss Mohawk Valley Pageant is open to the public to attend with a $12 donation requested at the door and children 12 years of age and younger admitted free.
The event will also feature performances by local performers, the crowning of Miss Mohawk Valley’s Outstanding Teen 2014 and farewell presentations by Miss Mohawk Valley Outstanding Teen 2013 Kimberly Sargalis and Miss Mohawk Valley 2013 Amanda Abdagic.
Contestants include the following young women:
• Catherine Banks Hometown: Canajoharie College: Dutchess Community College Platform: Suicide prevention Talent: Lyrical dance
• Richelle R. Reynolds Hometown: Rome College: Mohawk Valley Community College Platform: What Cancer Cannot Do and Cancer Research Talent: monologue
• Lauren Crandall Hometown: Fultonville College: SUNY Oneonta Platform: EASY: Education, Advocacy, Safe Spaces and Youth Groups Talent: Jazz vocal
• Heather Graves Hometown: Caroga Lake College: Fulton-Montgomery Community College Platform: S.A.Y. Something — Supporting America’s Youth Talent: Clog dancing
• Katherine Crandall Hometown: Whitesboro College: Paul Smith’s College Platform: You Don’t Need a Cape to be a Hero: Become a Blood Donor, Become a Hero Talent: Melodic sign language interpretation
For more information visit www.missmohawkvalley.com.