The Times
  • Little Falls continues to make flood repairs

    • email print
  • Little Falls businesses were among some of the hardest hit when flooding devastated the Mohawk Valley on June 28, including Kinney Drugs at 530 Albany St.
    That’s where an elbow-shaped pipe blew from under the parking lot due to an abundance of debris it caught from the heavy rains, causing major flooding in the parking lot.
    The Times captured a photo of water running over a retaining wall onto an Ann Street sidewalk after the pipe burst.
    Now, the city of Little Falls is in the process of getting it repaired for a second time.
    Kevin Horender, co-owner of Horender Construction, said they have been at work on the project for about a week.
    “We’re rerouting the stream that goes under the Kinney’s store and parking lot,” said Horender during a telephone interview Tuesday.
    He said they expect to get a substantial amount of the work done by the end of the year, but the paving and curbing will have to be done in spring 2014.
    Mayor Robert Peters said the Federal Emergency Management Agency will pay about 80 percent of the cost for repairs, leaving the city to foot about 20 percent of the bill.
    Peters said this is not the first time the city has had problems with the drain in the Kinney’s parking lot.
    “During the 2006 flood, it was the same hole, the same place,” he said.
    Peters said the city also needed to pay for the repairs made back then.
    “We just paid that note off in August, and here we are with the same type of thing,” he said. “Hopefully this will remedy it.”
    Peters said he wants to “make sure the work is done and done right.”
    Peters praised Horender Construction, of Little Falls, for their work on the project, and the work they have done on other flood-related city issues, including assisting with the removal of loose road damage. Peters also said Horender Construction came in as the low bidders for the current project.
    “We’re very appreciative to them,” said Peters. “Their business, the two brothers and the whole family, have worked extremely well for the city of Little Falls.”
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar